Sunday, November 3, 2013

Phones: Status and Use in Spain

I brought a couple of electronics when I arrived in Spain i.e. MacBook, iPod, iPhone and the point-and-shoot camera. All of them have been helpful and none of them have crapped out on me (knock on wood). The iPod has been in my pocket since 2008 and has helped me combat homesickness with tunes. As far as cells (or mobiles said here) are concerned, I had the option of unlocking the iPhone and using it here or opting for a pay-as-you-go/cheapo mobile phone. After a month living abroad, el cheapo has been better for me than using the iPhone.

The use of El Cheapo

Before I left for Spain, I downloaded a ton of apps that would help me stay in contact with friends and family such as WhatsApp (used to text anyone internationally that has the app) and Skype. I didn't bother unlocking the phone before I left. When I arrived, I felt lost without the function of the phone since I obviously didn't have data nor phone service in general. However, on my final day in Madrid before leaving for orientation in Cáceres, I went to the store Phone House to get a phone. I bought EL CHEAPO for €40, with €20 of credit in my sim card. The next day on the bus to Cáceres, many people had their smartphones out, unlocked with a Spanish sim inside. Many of them were either iPhone 4's or 5's or Android phones. It was basically the same sort of attitude as in the states, looking down on the device as opposed to looking whats in front of you.

The setup with el Cheapo next to the iPod

In Coria, I use el Cheapo mainly for communication between parents, students and teachers and maintaining my private English class business. Aside from that, I don't have many friends (none in Coria) to call and chat or text to see whats up. Now, the iPhone I still do use but seldom, often to text on WhatsApp to friends and family back at home and as a camera.

Social Status

Even though Spain is first world country and well developed, American products/brands are pretty expensive here. As far as mobiles go, the majority of Spaniards use Android based smartphones such as Samsung Galaxy (still expensive but cheaper than an iPhone). Most teens and young adults use them, while, I suppose wealthier people, have the iPhones, iPads and MacBooks. An iPhone 4S (my phone) goes for I believe about €300 even with a contract. The look on some student's faces when I tell them my phone was $99 is priceless. Also, most of the parents of the students that I teach seem to have many Apple products (they make bread and then some).

Smartphone or el cheapo

After a month without the functions of a smartphone while walking on the street, my life is actually really more free. I get many calls from parents and students about lessons on el cheapo. If I did on my iPhone, I would hate the thing. Don't get me wrong, I still use it to text some people and look up info but life without it is real nice. I feel liberating not looking down at it all the time and most of all I feel great not paying for data (sometimes it killed my cellphone bill in the states). I am still paying for service because I am still under contract with AT&T (evil bastards) but it is at a reduction rate of $10 a month for six months. On top of that, they did give me A LOT of credit before I left, so my bank account is unaffected. With just el cheapo in my pocket, I finally get to look up to where I'm going instead of looking down.

No comments:

Post a Comment